Monday 21 September 2015

Christian Film Production Tips :

Hello everyone, hope you had a great weekend? I sure did. Today I will like to continue from where I stopped last week. Remember we are on sound recording. I mentioned my experience with shot gun microphone and long gun, and explained their differences,  if you have missed that you can go to my blog xtianmovie.blogspot.com and update.
Lavalier microphone, lapel microphone and all other names people call it mean the same thing. It can serve variety of purposes,  and quite useful if you know how to handle it. You can use lapel microphone for interviews, news casting, documentaries, weddings and last of all filming.

There are different types of lapel microphones and you have to know the purpose it will serve for you before you make the purchase otherwise you may regret it. There are wireless lapel microphones and there are wired ones. Most wired lapel microphones are cheaper than their wireless versions. There is G2 lapel microphone and there is G3 type which is better. One of the obvious differences is the frequency. There are some microphones that are good in low frequency but terrible in high frequency. Ensure you check the honest reviews of any gadget you intend to buy before you place your money on it. Those that are bad in high frequency will allow your sound to blast and their reaction to S or C sound is terrible, you need to test it before you know what to expect from them or you research well enough. You hear some kind of stress on the letter S or C which is not good for dialogue, moreover an audio professional suppose to train his or her hear to detect all these. You can test what I am saying by picking up one or 2 movies and listen to the dialogue well.

I made a huge mistake some years back, I found a cheap wireless 4 in 1 lapel microphone on Amazon and I bought it after reading the reviews, then I didn't know the difference between G2 and G3 wireless, I imported it and took it to film location which I later regretted. The microphone reacted to the power line vibration and was giving us distorted sound all through. We packed it aside and made use of the boom microphone. There are some cinematographers who do not believe in lapel microphone at all because it produces interview kind of sound but in my opinion, it has lots of advantages and disadvantages. I decided to make use of it but with a caution. I saw one of my mentors Peter Jackson use it in the Lord of the rings but not in hobbit. He used it because he needed a wide shot and the demented king on the set was supposed to talk to the wizard under his breath so lapel mic came handy.

I will still need to add another post to the issue of lapel microphones otherwise this may get too long. But take note of this, most cheap lapel microphones are too poor for filming. Thank you for your time.

Feel free to ask your questions and share. Remember, if you have missed any of my past post please go to Christian Film Institute page and like our page or go to xtianmovie.blogspot.com. Till next week Monday when I shall be coming your way again, keep your God-given dreams alive and remain blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment