Thursday 26 November 2015

Filming Tips:
Hello everyone, hope you had a great weekend? I had a busy one actually, it was full of activities as I travelled to Ibadan in Oyo state, to bury my grandma who nursed me from birth. But today I am at Mount Zion Institute at Ife in osun state Nigeria, to be part of the refreshers course as usual, I told you about it last week. If you haven't been there before and you are in Nigeria, in Africa, you need to make it date next year May, it is an avenue through which you can be blessed by the Lord.
Post production: Last week I mentioned the duty of a sound editor, but this week I will like to talk about the challenges of post production based on the two movies I directed recently and the problem I caused for myself, I want to expose this for others not to make the same mistake.
I directed Missing The Mandate, a mount Zion institute alumni fellowship film though KSO directed the first phase of that same film but I did the second phase where we shot all the challenging scenes of crowd.
We used blackmagic camera but we needed multicam shoot for the crowd scenes. So we gathered different types of camera, we used 60d cameras, and my phone for the shoot. I want to believe that most of you must have seen the film but if you have not then you Need to grab your copy now.
I also directed another movie titled "Aba Idiwon" it is an egba dialect film fully subtitled in English. We have lots of crowd scenes, we also used blackmagic as our main camera. We used one 600d, Canon 60d, Canon 70d, and another Canon 60d.
If you are technically inclined you would have noticed the mistake already. Yes you are right, I used different cameras on a scene. But you are not absolutely right because you can actually shoot with different cameras on a scene but they must have something in common. I had some crowd scenes in prime suspect which was shot on 3 blackmagic cameras in raw format. But we couldn't afford such in the aforementioned movies.
The Avengers age of utron was shot by Seamus McGarvey, he used Alexa as the main camera, then he used 8 blackmagic pocket cameras for action sequences, then he used iPhone in addition, in order to catch all the shots they needed. You can see that they did lots of work on it. It came out great after serious colour grade, another one was that of Mad max fury road, it was shot also partly on blackmagic cinema camera for their action sequences.
Now, what was my mistake, in order to actually enjoy your shoot and post production, it is better to use same types of camera as your B cameras. This will help the colourist to correct the colour but if they are of different types like I did in those movies, it will be hard to score. If you have cameras that can shoot raw like Alexa, red, and blackmagic together and shoot in raw mode, this can be easily married well after a serious job from your colourist.
If you have seen Missing the Mandate, you might have noticed a little difference in some areas. Cameras that shoot raw can be easily married because you can control the exposure and the texture in post production through the camera raw setting in davinci resolve.
So when next you are going on a location to shoot, try to get same cameras but if not, try to limit the types you use to just two unlike what I did in the Egba movie which is titled Aba Idiwon. The movie is not out yet, but it will be premiered in Abeokuta, the date will be announced soon. Thanks for your time.
Remember, you can post and share, also feel free to ask your questions whether through the comment or you inbox me. If you have missed any of my past post you can visit my blog at xtianmovie.blogspot.com or you go to Christian film institute page and like our page.
Till next week Monday when I will be coming your way again, keep your God-given dreams alive and remain blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment