Sunday 31 May 2015

February Training on Lighting

Christian Film Production Tips:
Hello everyone, hope you had a great weekend? I had a busy one as usual. I want to quickly answer some questions raised last week by some people as regards animation and the likes. I am not ready for anything like training for now except for those who are part of me in house in Horeb Digital Network Ltd. The reason is because, animation school and visual effect cinematography is not about talks, it is a very serious work and the most difficult and most creative aspect of production in the whole world.
If anyone should announce that you are to come for two weeks training in animation, you should know that that fellow is only trying to fool you. Such training will take nothing less than six months for you to understand, and nothing less than additional six months for you to get to the intermediate level and another six months to get to the professional level which is not guaranteed because it depends largely on your brain. Two weeks program for any technical training will help you to have a feel of it, you can then move further for better training. Any training I will organise in animation will be a long term one, because I have also been learning now for a long time and I know how difficult it is but very achievable and interesting.
Last week we talked about low key lighting which simply means painting your set not so bright but meaningfully. I have shown you this picture before. That shot was taken from my movie PRIME Suspect - the MAN, we placed a led behind the lamp and placed a gel on it to amplify the colour of the lamp, then placed another LED on a C-stand and dimmed the light, a 2K tungsten light was used as the key light from outside the window with a blue gel on it. That is an example of a low key lighting.
There are some materials you may need in order to get a good low key lighting apart from having a fast lens which is very paramount. You need diffuser, duvetyne (which is a non-reflective black fabric), black rapper, bounce (which is being used to bounce light, you can create your own) gels of different colours, as many light as you can get. My boss who taught me lighting said it is not about the amount of light you use but the level of your knowledge and creativity. By the way, I have learnt from many people, but I have only being trained directly by just three people: Patrick Afun who taught me Lighting and Camera Science, Anne Abok from whom I learnt about TV Production and she also introduced me to Colour Treatment and last but not the least Soji Ogunnaike who taught me Avid software. But Soji taught me much more. He taught me many things about life in production, he taught me to search and yearn for knowledge, be bold, be courageous, and be creative. These are some of the things I learnt from him without his knowledge. He took me to a shoot some years back. We were to shoot an advert for TATA motors, I was watching the director of photography (Not Soji) as he was placing the lights. Not too long, DJ Tee came on set and shared his own opinion about the light and he really made sense. We had lots of light on set but from another director of photography, it would have been put to better use. So, according to Patrick Afun, it is not about the number of lights you have but the creativity you possess. When my site is finally ready, I will start uploading training videos ranging from camera works. to editing, colour treatment and animation. Thanks for your time.
Till next week monday when I shall be coming your way again, keep on growing in the Lord. Please like our page Christian Film Institute, keep your God-given dreams alive and remain blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment